Department History

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Local Sheriif with confiscated still


City Marshal Gives War to Violators of Traffic  - Redmond Spokesman July 1920

Redmond's Short Lived Bank Robbery - by Wally Hunter, The Oregonian 1935

Chief Edgar Quits Job, One Cop Left - Redmond Spokesman July 1947

History of Redmond Police Department

Compiled by Chief C.L. "Speed" Durgan (retired April, 1989)

In February 1912, Redmond hired the first town Marshall the young city had ever had. His name was Z.T. McClay. He was ordered to enforce gambling and prostitution ordinances, or be replaced. In August of 1912, he resigned. It was discovered that he was making a lucrative living by administering the gambling and prostitution houses while being employed as Marshall.

The city decided to give it another try, and in September of 1912, hired C.A. Adams as the Marshall. He was paid $1000 per year. In October of the same year, he asked for a budget of $23.50 to purchase a gun, club, and badge. It appears that this purchase was a wise investment by the city as in May of 1913, Marshall Adams reported the following monies collected by his office: Sale of impounded horse $7.80; Fines $12.00; and Stock impounded $22.00. The total of $41.80 was put into the city's general fund. It is interesting to note that the badge purchased by him is on display in the Historical Society in Bend.

On August 10, 1915 the city allowed Adams one week of vacation, since he had not had one for three years. It must have made an impression with the early city leaders, as in May of 1916, his salary was reduced to $75 per month. He resigned in September of 1920, and Albert Julian was appointed Marshall. Julian was able to convince people that he was worth $1500 per year, but he resigned in January 1922, and Earl Malkson was appointed.

One year later, Malkson had his salary raised to $150 per month. In order to get that raise though, he had to use his own car, and sprinkle the streets during the summers. He resigned in September of the same year, and James Toney was appointed.

Toney stayed with the city until June 1929. He was able to convince the city he needed help, and was able to establish one Deputy Marshall night shift officer, who was paid $4 per night. Toney resigned and H.C. Schumacher was appointed. We really can not find anything that he accomplished besides his resignation in June of 1931. He was replaced by George Moore.

Moore was able to rehire Albert Julian as night Marshall, purchase uniforms of which the city agreed to pay half of the purchase cost, reduce the salary of Marshall to $125 per month, increase the night Marshall salary to $115 per month, and buy a sawed off shotgun for the growing department. He was replaced by Athel Dudley in January 1937. Dudley made himself the food inspector, and hired a third patrolman. He resigned January 1, 1945, and J.R. Edgar was appointed Police Chief.

We are not sure what Edgar was up to, but in July of 1947, when he resigned from the department, the rest of the department also resigned. From 1947 to 1953 the city hired and fired 7 police chiefs. It doesn't appear that job security was much of an issue in those days.

In June of 1953, Melford Mooney was hired as police chief. He brought to the department a stability in positions that continues to present day times. Two young patrolmen he hired were C.L. "Speed" Durgan, and Leonard Kirby. On the night of March 15, 1956, the two young partners stopped a Chevy sedan towing a boat with no tail lights. As they approached the vehicle, they were both shot by the driver of the car. He drove off, and later in the night, was involved in a gunfight with Oregon State Police near the small town of Gilchrest. He was shot dead by the OSP officers. Both Durgan and Kirby recovered from their wounds. It marked the first time gunshots were fired in anger at Redmond police officers.

Mooney retired from the department in June of 1970. The city appointed Durgan as his successor. Durgan stayed as the chief of police from this date until April 1989, marking the longest reign as police chief the city has ever known. Under his direction, the department became a full service organization, establishing specialized positions and duties. Nine full time officers prowled the streets looking for evil doers, and stopping to talk with citizens, most of which they knew on a first name basis. On July 1, 1971, Speed established the Reserve Officer program, appointing 6 non-paid volunteer positions. Of these original six, two remain today as full time officers - Ken Kerfoot and Gary Downs.

In May of 1993, Officer Mike Kidwell, Sergeant Al Maich, and Corporal Scott Koertje responded to the report of a domestic disturbance. The officers were ambushed by a male with a shotgun. Kidwell was shot, with Maich receiving minor ricochet wounds. A bullet proof vest is credited with saving Kidwell's life. The suspect received a sentence of 5 years in prison.

In July of 1996, the department created this Internet page. It is the first interactive law enforcement page.

When Speed Durgan retired April 30, 1989, he was replaced by Jim Carlton effective May 1, 1989. Chief Carlton retired effective March 31, 1999 and continued as interim Chief through July 31, 1999. Lt. Larry Kanski, long time member of the Redmond Police Department, became the interim Chief effective August 1, 1999 through August 31, 1999. Chief Lane Roberts assumed the helm September 1, 1999.